Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sock Yarn Blanket

Now that I've finished my Ravelympics projects, I'm getting back to some that have been sitting in my knitting bag, neglected and incomplete. The Sock Yarn Blanket has been a big hit on Ravelry. There's swaps for mini skeins all the time and tons of pictures on the projects page. I began collecting my mini-skeins (of which I have about 150) in the fall but only began knitting the itty-bitty squares in January. Each square for the blanket uses up about 3-5 grams of yarn or approximately 15-25 yards. Each of my squares are 4 inches in width. You heard me right: 4 inches. At that size I'm estimating that I may need approximately 335 squares to complete a lap-sized blanket.

So far I've completed 10.

At this rate I may be working on this project for the rest of my life. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh I understand this fully. I started collecting in the fall. I probably have about 50 and have crocheted up 5 or so. I think mine are coming out about 4 inches too.

    Good luck. I wanted to start doing 1-3 blocks a week but that ship has long sailed. Makes good purse knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started something similar, but with sewn sample patchwork pieces all about 5"x5"....I finally took the pieces and sewed them onto a much larger piece of fabric, sort of like they were applique, on a flannel cover for our bed...I have No idea what I was thinking when I started the project originally, but the final piece came out pretty well, all things considered!

    If you try doing one a day, you could potentially have it done by the end of the year!...maybe...

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing something like this called a gaslight afghan in crochet. Oh my, that's a lot of knitted squares. Maybe knit one a day? It will then be completed with time to put it together in less than a year. :-)
    I will say one thing. It's going to be a gorgeous piece of art when you are fiished. Everyone will want one!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!