Saturday, October 23, 2010

Yarn Arrivals

Once I had settled on the color of yarn I wanted for the Sunny Spread, I was ready to go.  I was really hooked (ahh, the crochet puns) on the color of the Caron Simply Soft I had found in the hidden depths of my guest bedroom closet and was not going to change my mind. Monday evening I drove around to a few craft stores, unable to find the same color of the lone skein (it's Raspberry, by the way). I finally decided to call another Joann's (instead of driving to it) since it was getting late. The nice lady on the phone checked the shelves and, of course, did not have the color I was looking for. However, she did suggest that I might try checking online since there are often more colors available on the website than in the stores. I had a why didn't I think of that moment, checked the website, and sure enough, they had Raspberry.  I made sure to order an extra skein since a commenter had mentioned that despite the yarn having no dye lot, the color may change with age. I placed my order Monday night and went to bed. 


My order arrived Thursday (only because Joann headquarters are in Hudson, Ohio which is about twenty minutes from my house) and seems to be a good match to the original skein. Thus far, I've only crocheted six squares. I'm not really dedicated to the project right now so I do one whenever I have a spare moment. 


I think they're coming out pretty good. The Simply Soft really is soft (simple, too) and doesn't have that plasticy acrylic feeling some acrylic yarns do. I love the richness of the color and will be interested to see how many squares I can get out of a skein. 

Timber is in charge of all final yarn purchases. He approves. 

10 comments:

  1. hooray for the interwebs!

    that yarn is lovely, i'm glad you were able to find enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the color and will have to agree, it definitely is one of the nicer acrylic yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a happy color! ...and still smiling over this "Simply Soft really is soft (simple, too)" and wondering if the folks at Caron have contacted you about product endorsement - you're a natural :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the color. glad cutie timber approves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Timber looks like he takes his job very seriously :)

    I'm so glad you found more of the perfect color ~ this is going to be so stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Timber is a good inspector :)
    The color is very pretty. I've used Caron Simply Soft and it is soft!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those squares are so pretty. One of these days, I'm going to start crocheting again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never used caron simply soft, but i've heard it's the bst acrylic you can get! good luck with your crocheting

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - look at all that lovely yarn!! :)

    I'm glad to see you have a strong quality control ethic in the form of Timber ... adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a great color. I'm glad you got the yarn choice and purchase resolved, and even started! I forget, is this a Christmas deadline, or just as soon as you can finish?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!