Saturday, August 4, 2012

Big Montana Vest (Again)


Those of you that have been following my blog since the beginning (has anyone, really?) might think you've seen this project before. And you'd be right.  This is the original Big Montana Tunic (from Interweave Knits Fall 2009), reworked in the same (frogged and washed) yarn, only with a few modifications this time. 


After reading that old post, I realized that I originally inteneded to reknit at a tighter gauge, but I didn't do that. I did however, take out the shaping. The tunic is A-line but I don't think that's very flattering on me since I'm on the short side and the piece is already so bulky. I cast on for the smallest size and did one set of decreases to get the bust size for the second size up. I also knit the sweater to 16.5" instead of the 19" recommended by the pattern. I think the mid-hip length will be more flattering. I'm aiming for a "hug your curves" kind of look. That's all to be determined considering I can't try this puppy on quite yet.

I was also able to pick up the appropriate amount of stitches for the cowl (didn't pick up enough last time) so after blocking it's laying a bit better than it originally did. 


My final modification is yet to be made: I'm thinking of over-dyeing this. My goal is more of an olive green so I'm on the lookout for lemon-lime Kool Aid (you have some? Send it my way!). I'm not sure why I bought this color, besides the fact that it was on sale and being discontinued. Either way, I'm not in love with it and it's headed for the crock-pot.

Pattern: Big Montana Tunic by Cecily Glowick MacDonald
Yarn: Tahki Yarns Montana in Cherry Blossom #006 (4 skeins)
Needles: US11 (8mm) for ribbing, US13 (9mm) for body, US15 (10mm) for cowl
Began: July 27
Completed: August 1



I feel like I'm making good progress on the 2012 knitting goals. I've knit the four pair of socks (Goal #3), fixed the Montana Tunic (part of Goal #2), and have made 3 of 5 sweaters for myself (Goal #4). I'm swatching tonight for sweater #4 and have yarn lined up for #5. 

Finally, I'm still looking for test knitters. Please email me if you're interested or have any questions. Details can be found here

4 comments:

  1. looks great! how good of you to redo it so that you actually like the finished project... i don't know if i possess the internal fortitude to do something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it came out really pretty this time! I'm pretty short, too, and I agree with you- sometimes I feel like a-line things poof out and make me look even shorter then I already am!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that cowl neck on this tunic. What a trooper you are to frog and wash the yarn and then reknit it up. Glad it worked out better for you this time around. Be interesting to see how the dyeing comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice! I think an olive green would look lovely, too!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!