Friday, June 22, 2012

Socks for Dad

Another pair of socks off the needles! These socks are for my dad who asked for them back in December (I think. It was long enough ago that I don't remember when it was). At the time I was (unknowingly) newly pregnant and had zero energy for knitting so the thought of these languished somewhere in the back of my mind for a while.


I did, however, buy the yarn for these socks in January. Just a plain brown as requested. This further discouraged me from casting on. The thought of knitting miles of a stockinette sock (just going around and around and around and around) in just plain brown sock yarn was not exciting at all. I finally cast these on in the beginning of May and used them as my I-don't-have-anything-else-to-work-on-and-I'm-headed-out-so-I-need-a-project-to-take-along knitting. A couple weeks ago I realized that I'd be heading back to California soon and wanted these off the needles and out of my house. After a good, solid weekend of working on them, they're all done.


I knit these toe-up two-at-a-time knitting using Judy's Magic Cast On. I also used a new (to me) toe-up heel technique to get a flap and gusset. The only change I would make would be to do a k2tog through the back loop instead of a regular k2tog when turning the heel. 

I had initially been a bit worried about running out of yarn since these were man-sized. I thought I'd do a 7" leg before doing the cuff but when I go to that point, I realized I could add another inch. I knit to just over 8", finished with a 2" ribbed cuff (2x1) and still ended up having over 10 grams of yarn left! 


I'm not a big fan of knitting socks for men just because I hate the large size. I doubt I'll ever take on knitting socks for my husband and his size 12 feet (my dad's are only a 9 1/2!) but otherwise everyone in my family will have warm feet. Maybe I'll just felt Adam some slippers. 

Yarn: Opal Uni Solid 4ply
Needles: US 1.5 (2.5mm)
Began: May 4
Completed: June 20

8 comments:

  1. I bet your Dad loves them and the brown is such a lovely chocolate color, while maybe boring to knit they are beautiful socks.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh, as a newbie toe-up sock knitter I just have to admire that heel!
    I know what you mean about boring stockinette stitch men's socks... My bf is a size 11 but thankfully will wear any color! (He even offered to buy me a Crazy Zauberball if I'd knit it into socks!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great socks! I bet your dad will love them. I've only made pair of men's socks for the same reason (the size).
    I do like to have what I call a travel sock (mindless st st to knit while riding in the car)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great socks! I really want to try the two at once technique the next time I knit socks....I'll have to check out your link :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good ol' sturdy socks!
    Congrats on your pregnancy; hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I could handle man socks, but your actual knitting time wasn't so bad. It's so sweet of you to do that for your dad. I hope you have a good visit with your parents!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i knit brown socks for my dad once too.
    but i couldn't handle just plain stockinette, i did a "manly" textured pattern instead. my hat goes off to you - you are a very good daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Other than comfortable material, the construction has been done expertly so that neither of the stitches of the running socks pair rips apart or together. socks at wholesale prices

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!